With the Fall nip in the air, comfort foods like Mac ‘n Cheese come to mind and come to our table! This kicked up version is super simple, yet amazingly delicious.
This is not your pantry’s boxed macaroni and cheese! This is a gourmet version to make for your family without having to be a gourmet chef.
I pretty much wing it to taste, but I will do my best to list ingredient measurements that you can work with.
This could be served alone with a salad for a vegetarian/meatless meal or you could serve it alongside your favorite protein. You can even throw some grilled chicken or shrimp or seafood in for a heartier meal.
We had it Sunday with chicken sausages on the grill and some homemade coleslaw with a fresh vinaigrette dressing.
Don’t like smoked gouda cheese? For shame! But…. you can throw any kind of your favorite cheese in – cheddar, muenster, brick – or a combination of all!
Have fun and enjoy!
Smoked Gouda Penne 'n Cheese
- 1 lb Penne Pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (I use Skim)
- 8 oz. freshly grated smoked Gouda cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions until al dente, Drain in colander and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan, prepare a rue by melting butter, then stirring in flour.
- Bring to a simmer, then gradually whisk in milk slowly to thicken the sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir all but 1/4 cup cheese sauce into pasta.
- Pour all into greased baking dish.
- Top with reserved cheese.
- Bake for 20 -30 minutes until browned and crispy on top and edges.
Cheers & Cheesy Hugs,