I know I often post yummy cookie and dessert recipes (and do I ever have an amazing Cinnamon Chip Brown Sugar Cookie recipe I will be posting later this week that I think has become my ALL TIME FAVORITE cookie ever! Get READY cinnamon lovers!)…
But I had to share this amazingly delicious, totally healthy, guilt-free recipe for SQUASH (of all things squash!) that has even won over hubby and son despite it’s “healthiness!” Yahoo!
It is spaghetti squash – Italian style, and it barely has any calories despite it’s full-flavor and filling-ness. You can eat oodles of this and not feel a bit guilty!
You can serve it as a vegetarian main course or as a side dish with a protein.
We had it as a side with dry-rubbed pork tenderloin on the grill and a fresh salad for Sunday dinner.
Here’s the recipe as I make it. Hope you will try, and let me know what you think. I would love to hear how you make it too!
Italian Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp dried Italian Seasoning (oregano, basil, thyme)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh Parmesan cheese to taste
- Pierce whole squash 3-4 times with a fork, and microwave for approximately 12 minutes.
- Let cool slightly until manageable to work with.
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds.
- Scrape squash with fork forming strands of “spaghetti,” and set aside.
- In a large skillet saute chopped onion in olive oil and a sprinkle of salt until “sweated” out – 2-3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add spaghetti squash and saute all together.
- Add diced tomatoes and seasonings and saute all together.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do! It sure is great when you can find a recipe that is healthy, hearty, and full-flavored too!
Cheers & Hugs,