Looking for a bright, light, fresh summertime salad? How about fresh baby spinach leaves, slices of juicy ripe strawberries, chunks of creamy goat cheese, and crunchy candied walnuts all drizzled with a sweet and tangy poppy seed viniagrette? It just screams summertime!
Since we were talking about strawberries this week, I couldn’t resist making this when asked to bring a salad to Liz’s birthday party last evening.
Candying the walnuts is a cinch and homemade dressing makes it so much fresher. This salad is super easy and bursting with flavor.
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Homemade Poppy Seed Dressing
- Large bunch or bag of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, broken into chunks
- 1/2 cup candied walnuts
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Poppy seed dressing
- 1/8 cup white vinegar
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp shallot or onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Prepare candied walnuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
- Blanch walnuts in a small saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes, and drain.
- Mix sugar and walnuts together, and spread onto baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes until golden.
- Prepare dressing:
- Whisk together vinegar and sugar until sugar is pretty much dissolved. Add in shallot powder, salt, ground mustard.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- When ready to serve, toss spinach leaves with poppy seed dressing thoroughly.
- Stir in sliced strawberries, goat cheese, and candied walnuts.
- A protein can be added for a full meal (i.e. chicken breast slices, steak slices, salmon chunks
Happy Friday! Enjoy the weekend, and have fun doing things at life in between.
Cheers & Hugs,