It’s the beginning of apple harvesting season in our little corner of the world and today is actually the annual Mars Applefest.
With apples and cinnamon on the brain this week, I wanted to make something special for dessert when my friend, Janet, was coming over for dinner. I’m getting sad that she will soon be heading south for the winter, so trying to enjoy the few weeks we have left.
Who doesn’t love an apple fritter?! And made into a yummy cake to share?? …. Well – that sounded heavenly.
Oh – and was it ever!!! We all LOVED it! I know I will make this one again! Here is the recipe as I slightly adapted.
Apple Fritter Cake
- 4 large apples, peeled and chopped (I used golden delicious)
- 2/3 cup + 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour bundt cake pan.
- In medium bowl, mix together peeled, chopped apples, 3 Tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Set aside to let sugar and cinnamon liquefy with apple juice.
- In a small bowl, blend together 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Set aside.
- With electric mixer, cream together 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Add eggs, on at a time, blending well, then add vanilla. When well creamed together, add 2 tsp baking powder and 1 1/2 cups flour. When well blended, add milk slowly until all incorporated.
- Add half of apple mixture to prepared bundt pan. Top with half of brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. Top that with half of the batter. Repeat with other halves.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes until done.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto plate to continue cooling.
- Make glaze by mixing powdered sugar with 1-2 Tbsp milk, until you achieve desired consistency. Drizzle on top of warm cake.
This cake is AMAZING warm and cold. I refrigerated leftovers and loved it cold from the fridge.
Cheers & Hugs,