Black Bean & Corn Salsa.
One of my favorite new healthy snacks is black bean and corn salsa.
It makes a wonderful “scoop” with tortilla chips.
It is also great all by itself as a salad or piled on top of a grilled chicken breast or fish.
It is light, healthy, crunchy, tangy, low-calorie, high-fiber, and absolutely DELISH too!
Here is how I make it, but you can surely tweak to your liking. It would be great with a bit of fresh cilantro, which I didn’t have on hand when I made this batch on Sunday. You could also switch it up with any other kind of bean you like or other veggies like cherry tomatoes or cucumbers.
Black Bean & Corn Salsa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen or canned corn*
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar to taste (approx. 2 Tbsp)
Combine all vegetables in a bowl. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar to taste.
Serve as a salsa for tortilla chips, as a salad, or as a topping for grilled chicken or fish.
Store well in airtight refrigerator container for several days.
*TIP: When we buy fresh corn on the cob in the summer, we always buy a full dozen, though we never eat all of that for the two of us. We cut the leftover off the cob, throw it in a Ziploc freezer bag, and toss it in the freezer for the winter months or times when fresh corn is not available. It is so much better than canned corn.
Cheers & Hugs,
Fresh Blueberry, Pistachio, & Edamame Salad with Goat Cheese.
Summer is such a glorious time of fresh bounty.
Salads become meals made from fresh fruits and vegetables. Like this yummy salad I made for lunch one day with some plump sweet and tart blueberries, crunchy pistachios, protein and fiber-rich edamame, and creamy crumbled goat cheese piled on a bed of greens.
All of this drizzled with a honey red wine vinaigrette is heaven in a bowl!
What is your favorite summer salad? There are so many wonderful combinations and possibilities!
Fresh Blueberry, Pistachio, & Edamame Salad with Goat Cheese
- Mixed Greens (Kale, Arugula, Spinach Swiss Chard – any of your faves)
- Fresh Blueberries
- Pistachio Nuts, shelled
- Edamame, shelled
- Goat Cheese, crumbled
- Green Onions, chopped (optional)
- Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing (homemade or your fave – this is how I make mine – it will make more than you need for one salad)
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Tbsp Honey
- Salt & Pepper
In a bowl, place a handful of mixed greens. Top with fresh blueberries, pistachios, edamame, goat cheese, and green onions (if desired). Drizzle with Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing.
Cheers & Hugs,
I love chicken, and I love easy crockpot recipes – especially for days you know you are going to be busy, but want a nice, healthy meal at the end of the day.
Crockpot recipes are often thought more about in the winter and often with heavier, creamier sauces, but I love how light and healthy this recipe turned out that was born out of simply searching the pantry one morning last week for what to throw together.
I daresay this is good enough for company, yet simple enough for any ole’ weeknight dinner.
Best of all, you can throw it together in about 10 minutes in the morning and forget about it until dinnertime.
Hope you give it a try and enjoy!
Jodi's Mediterranean Crockpot Chicken
- 6 frozen chicken breasts (or your favorite cuts – thighs, legs, whole cut up parts)
- 1 12 oz. jar Marinated & Quartered Artichoke Hearts ( I used DeLallo)
- 1 12 oz. jar Sweet Roasted Red Peppers (I used Mancini)
- 3 oz. (1/4 cup) Capers (I used Roland Capers in Sherry Vinegar)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning (oregano, basil, parsley, thyme blend)
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc that was open, but any kind would do, or you could substitute chicken broth)
Layer all ingredients in crockpot in order listed above. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve alone or over pasta, rice or with a side of new boiled potatoes. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves minced and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Easy – Right?!
Delicious? You’re going to love it!
Cheers & Hugs,