It’s Christmas cookie baking time, and I always like to try cookies that are a little different, a little more decadent, a little fancier, a bit more festive than usual for holiday baking.
I think I am on a chocolate caramel kick (Rolo Hot Chocolate Recipe Monday)!
I found a ton of different cookies with these ingredients, but ended up trying one posted by The Recipe Critic and tweaking it very slightly.
Twix Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies
- 4 sticks (1 lb) Butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 Eggs (yolks only)
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 11 oz. bags Kraft Caramels
- 9 T. heavy cream
- 12 oz. Wilton Light Candy Cocoa Melts or your favorite milk chocolate chips
- Shortbread Cookies: With electric mixer, combine butter, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add flour, and beat at low speed until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm.
- After dough has chilled, shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets or baking stone. Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb or end of wooden spoon handle. Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool completely.
- Caramel filling: Melt the caramel and cream in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted. Using a teaspoon fill each indentation with the caramel.
- Chocolate: Melt the chocolate in the microwave stirring 30 seconds at a time until smooth. Spoon into a ziploc bag. Cut a tiny snip in the corner of the baggie to pipe the chocolate onto the cookies.
I bet these would taste wonderful with a steaming mug of Rolo Hot Chocolate! Can you even imagine!?! ‘Tis the season!
Cheers & Holiday Hugs,